08 May 2013

The New American Leaders Project

In 2012 I participated in a political candidate training. This is my story.

Theatrics aside, I'd like to briefly share about how that training has affected my life and I'll hopefully convince you to consider applying for this training so that you can eventually make a run for public office.

In 2012 I participated in the two day Ready to Lead training offered by the New American Leaders Project. This was a content rich workshop that was aimed at providing the new American leader with the basic skills necessary to be a viable candidate for public office. I learned about the stump speech, that facial hair scares voters, and how important it is to be able to tell your story. I spent two intense days fully engaged with a cohort of community members, eager to learn about the political process, sharing our stories with each other, and learning about why this nation needs greater civic engagement.

NALP does have a specific mission for its work and a specific target market for its programs:

Our goals are threefold: to expand the number of immigrants in leadership positions, increase voter participation in immigrant communities and allow immigrant voters more opportunities to engage with leaders who reflect their unique experiences.

The immigrant community is growing and deserves adequate representation. NALP recognizes this and that is the reason that it exists as an organization; to empower everyone in our community with the spirit of civic engagement.

In closing, I encourage you to consider how you can initiate positive lasting change in your community by running for public office. Although I have not yet began that process I think it is only a matter of time before I make an attempt for a school board position. My first step is to go to the meetings and then volunteer. I know that being in a position to affect public policy is a great responsibility. This training can help you get there. Click here to apply today.

No comments:

Post a Comment